[Hudlug] [Wylug-discuss] Laptop Suggestions

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 22:49:27 UTC 2008

Subject: Re: [Wylug-discuss] Laptop Suggestions
Date: Monday 11 August 2008 23:19
From: Roger Greenwood <rg at nthong.co.uk>
To: wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk

On Thursday 24 July 2008 18:21, Seb James wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 18:06 +0100, Roger Greenwood wrote:
> > I am still looking for a cheap laptop, (having had no success on ebay
> > yet). To that end I had the following discussion with PC World. Sorry for
> > the reverse nature of the following correspondence. Should I persue this
> > or just give in and go with a Dell - don't they deserve some support ?
>
> I think it's _really_ important to support vendors like Dell, and
> others, who will sell a machine with a pre-installed Linux OS. Even if
> that means buying a laptop that wouldn't otherwise be number 1 on your
> list.

Well I bought a dell. Overall very impressed so far. Saved about £55 over the
equivalent vista offering.

I have posted a few comments here :-

www.nthong.co.uk/wordpress

and started an e-petition here :-

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/softwarebundle/

Got 3 signatures after only a few hours !!

Any other support/publicity appreciated.

If you don't agree with me, start your own!

> If you don't like Dell, then buy from a smaller vendor, but _do_ buy a
> computer with Linux pre-installed, even if you plan to replace whatever
> it comes with with your own preferred Distro.
>
> Not only will this help to nurture a Linux friendly PC supplier
> ecosystem, you will benefit from the knowledge that your hardware is all
> Linux compatible, so it's good all round.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Seb James

"I used to get high on life but lately I've built up a resistance."

Some programming languages manage to absorb change, but withstand
progress.
		-- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982