[Hudlug] Hudlug Digest, Vol 192, Issue 1

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:36:36 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009 15:43:54 Leigh Sykes wrote:
> My son has just left school at 16.  He has an interest in computing.  Does
> anyone have any recommendations of how he can go about acquiring some Linux
> skills?
>
> Are there courses he can attend in Huddersfield?
> Books he can read?
> Where should he focus any studies?
> Companies he could join (long shot I know)

At this stage, forget books.  They are almost always so out of date as to be
less then helpful.  His best bet is to install Mandriva, Ubuntu or KUbuntu
(probably the three most newbie friendly distros) then join related mailing
lists and forums.  There is always a lot of user-to-user help, and just
reading about the problems that other people meet speeds up your learning
considerably.

Anne