[Hudlug] The Strange Tale of the Internet Fridge

D.Bolton U0970268 U0970268 at unimail.hud.ac.uk
Sun Dec 2 13:55:52 UTC 2012

Just thought I'd mention this - as it may be of interest to local LUGgites.

There are regular "Cafe Scientifique" talks at Dean Clough in Halifax - and the next one is this Wednesday evening at 7.30pm.  It is entitled: "The Strange Tale of the Internet Fridge - New Technologies and Their Impact", and is being given by Richard Woodcock from the University of Bradford.

The blurb from the website says:

   "How is it that some new ideas meet with runaway success, while others fail to take off? What processes are involved in the development of a creative idea, its move into production, and its prospects for popularity and practical use? This talk will begin with a quick journey back in time to 1984, and a discussion of technologies which were then referred to as 'the chip, the bird, the wire and the screen' - the very beginnings of what has more recently been called 'digital convergence'. We will then take a look at some of the thinking around the innovation/diffusion process, and will finish by looking at some examples of new technologies over the last few decades - successes, failures, and surprises!"

You can read more ate the Halifax Cafe Scientifique website: http://www.cafescihalifax.org/

Background to the worldwide Cafe Scientifique movement can be seen at: http://www.cafescientifique.org/

...and yes, I shall be going ;-)

David