[IOML] New

Chris Bryden c.bryden at virgin.net
Wed Jan 22 01:07:00 2003

At 14:18 21/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi, I'm new to the whole LUG thing, been using Linux about 8 mths and I
>won't go back to Bill unless I am dragged kicking and screaming.  Mainly
>into sorting my machine to be as good as (better really) Windows desktop
>equivalent.  Can do most everything I need to, although DVD is still a bit
>of a challenge as far as encryption goes (Xine won't play my English DVD's
>- how weird is that?  CSS encryption it won't do.)  Have got libdvdread
>and libdvdcss and installed them but I don't know if they require linking
>into another folder or whether the /usr/lib it has put them in is
>right.  Any ideas would be nice.
>

>Anyway, just wanted to make myself known and I am happy to help anyone
>with a query if I know the answer.

Hi Chris,

I don't really use Xine - I use mplayer compiled from source which plays
DVDs no problem, so I'm not certain, but I had a quick hunt around, and
found this in the Xine howto that might be of some help...

http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto-5.html#ss5.3

DeCSS info may be a bit thin on the ground as everyone is a bit scared of
the DMCA after what happened to Skylarov...

Chris

--
Stay up late.
Stuff @ http://www.neonbox.net

PK @ http://www.neonbox.net/key.asc and http://www.keyserver.net
Fingerprint: 8003 E6DA 8C67 BE2F 36A7  7391 F5FD 31A9 9C2E 026D