[IOML] Hi

Dylan Smith dyls at dylansmith.co.im
Wed May 28 08:27:01 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Chris Bryden wrote:

> On the 802.11x front, I was looking at trying to get a bit more range out
> of the access point to make some decent Douglas coverage ( at least to the
> Cat ) a bit more of a realistic possibility, was looking at some high gain
> antenna at http://www.lanshop.co.uk/wireless-lan-networking-antenna.htm,

Have you tried any of the 'home made' waveguide antennas?

Something that could be potentially a bit of fun would be to make an
amateur wireless backbone. If we know enough interested people within line
of site of each other...I was on the roof of my new house in Port St
Mary the other day, and I get quite a good view from there, and idle
thoughts turned to 'how nice it would be if there was an antenna on the
top of that hill to the north'.
What wireless equipment have you found to be well-supported under Linux?

> Anyway, anyone fancy another IOMLUG meeting/beer consumption session in the
> near future, an IOMLUG TT special...?

Another meet would be good.
Also, since there are a few good LAN party games for Linux (Unreal
Tournament, Quake etc.) a LAN party might be in order some time. When my
new house is eventually finished, it's got Cat5e wiring all around, so I'd
be happy to host one if people don't mind leaving Douglas!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man      | Code fast, crash young and
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net         | leave a beautiful core.