[IOML] PPPD & wvdial

Simon Slaytor sslaytor at iom.com
Tue Jun 15 10:58:16 BST 2004

Well it's not elegant but I've found a fix and it's quite simple.

I've modified my restart script to pause for 10 seconds after
terminating PPPD before restarting it.

Modified script as follows:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Shell will test if PPPD is running, checks for ppp0 interface
# if running stops the process by calling ppp-off it then checks for the
# ppp0 interface to disappear and restarts PPPD
#

# Check if ppp0 exists i.e. pppd running
if test -r /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/ppp0
then
logger -p 6 "****** ppp0 interface exists pppd is running"

/etc/ppp-off

        logger -p 6 "****** Waiting for pppd shutdown"
        while test -r /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/ppp0
        do
        echo -e "*\c"
        done
                                                                                        logger -p 6 "****** Going to sleep for 10 seconds"
        sleep 10
else
logger -p 6 "****** ppp0 interface is not present pppd is down"
fi

logger -p 6 "****** Starting pppd "
pppd call dod

This script has been in place for 3 days and everything is now working.

Very strange.