[IOML] Re: IOM Digest, Vol 26, Issue 1

Dylan Smith dyls at alioth.net
Mon Jan 17 17:08:47 GMT 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Simon Slaytor wrote:

> As to trusting the protection of my home LAN I'm with Dylan on the
> OpenBSD soap box, PF is a gem. Couple this to isakmpd being one of the
> most reliable IPSec implementations around and it's unbeatable.

The other nice thing you can do with it is "poor man's multihoming" - you
can pool two or more relatively inexpensive ADSL lines to give you more
resilience against ISP problems. PF controls the pool. With a little
scripting you can make it automatically failover too...

> Dylan you could really turn things on their head at work and replace
> IPSO on your Nokia with OpenBSD. I'm using an old IP120 cast off from
> work and it's a corker.

Now there's a good thought :-)
I've never checked the boot order on that device - given the lack of
removable storage, will it PXE boot?

> As for connecting to the ADSL line I've gone a different route, mainly
> as the IP120 hardware allowed no other means. I'm using an external
> ethernet ADSL modem configured as a transparent bridge...
<snip>
> Check them out at http://www.adslnation.co.uk X-Modem CE for only fifty
> nine quid they're a steal.

I'll have to have a look into that - Ethernet ADSL modems are nice for all
the reasons you said. When I was living in Houston, RoadRunner cable
actually supplied an Ethernet cable modem with the service which was
fantastic. The sick thing is in 2001, I had 2Mbit/sec down, 512Kbit sec up
for about $40 a month. Wish MT would charge prices in line with the rest
of the world :/