[IOML] Re: IOM Digest, Vol 26, Issue 3

Dylan Smith dyls at alioth.net
Wed Jan 19 18:15:40 GMT 2005

On 19 Jan 2005, at 16:20, Simon Slaytor wrote:

>> Any ideas when the MEA solution is to become available ?
>>
> From what I hear the Government have stepped in and told them they
> cannot deliver IP services directly to the door of the end user. As in
> order to do this they would need a 'communications' license that they
> do not have and cannot get.

I heard this straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. They will
only be selling wholesale services (to mcb.net, XKO, Domicilium and in
a twist of irony, they could even end up selling bandwidth to MT). I
strongly suspect that will mean in reality only XKO and mcb.net will be
their likely resellers (unless someone else sets up to be a reseller),
since Domicilium has its own off-island bandwidth (if I'm not
mistaken), and of course MT has too except for providing redundant
links.

But they have to wait for Government approval to even do that, so their
fibre remains dark. It's probably been waiting on the council of
ministers for at least a year -- if not more!

They have apparently also tested broadband over power lines, but this
has some other problems that go along with it - radio hams will be very
unhappy since BBoPL tends to interfere quite badly with many amateur
bands (and more). Whilst the government might eventually move for them,
the laws of physics won't.

So much for the government wanting to diversify the economy - they
certainly aren't helping the process!