[IoMLUG] Hi there, Where and what time is the SoftwareFreedomDay Meeting exactly ?

Dan Wood mr.dan.wood at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 12:43:38 UTC 2012

Hi NATH.

Unfortunately we haven't been able to come up with a suitable venue in
time to plan anything for SFD 2012.

The original idea was to demo some open source software, and hand out
some copies of OpenDisc (www.theopendisc.com) to interested Windows
users, so that they could see for themselves the range and quality of
today's open source offerings. (There should still be a small demo /
talk in one of the schools on the island on the Friday before SFD, but
that's only because I work there!)

However, your offer of a room in central Douglas is very kind and
something to capitalise on! Could it be available at a regular slot
each month?

At the moment, IoMLUG tends to meet on a fairly random basis (plus
Ubuntu release days) and either in a coffee shop or a pub. I think as
a result of this, we've only ever had 6 people at our busiest meeting.
I have had emails from more people (including Mark S of Ubuntu fame),
saying how they'd like to come but can't make either the venue, or the
time. If we could do something along the lines of "Meet at X, every
Nth Saturday of the month, at 10am" then it allows people to plan
ahead, and we might get more of us together.

Anyway, thanks for your enquiry about SFD. Keep watching this list,
and hopefully a regular meeting pattern will emerge one day!

Cheers,
Dan.