[IoMLUG] Linux advocacy today - not the desktop, but the Smartphone and Tablet are relevant

Dan Wood mr.dan.wood at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:55:03 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the list!

I think you're right that advocacy is never 'done' and needs to be an
ongoing process. Although Linux is used heavily in infrastructure and
embedded systems, it still doesn't get the exposure on the desktop
that I think it deserves.

I've often reflected on some of the Saturday sessions at Code Club.
Often people are tinkering with Linux on a Raspberry Pi, learning
Python, programming a robot and yet the default OS for most of the
laptops I see around is either Windows 8.1 or Mac OS X.
Linux is 'naturally' more suited to these kinds of tasks in my opinion.

It's odd that lots of people at Code Club bemoan the user interface of
Windows 8/8.1, and they say that they don't like the changes Microsoft
made. Yet they all still use it. The problem starts with the purchase
of a machine, and the OS it comes bundled with. Even very techie
people seem reluctant to change that.

Until we can buy computers easily without an OS installed, or with a
wider choice (including Linux) then I don't think the desktop problem
will be solved.

So, keep up the advocacy and help as many people as you can to try
Linux on the desktop. Wherever possible, when purchasing a new machine
make sure you get one with Linux pre-installed if you can. My Dell XPS
13 came with Ubuntu. It was hellishly overpriced, but I wanted to
support a manufacturer who was prepared to break with the norm!

Cheers,
Dan.