[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

klug at allen.brooker.gb.net klug at allen.brooker.gb.net
Wed Apr 19 22:28:13 BST 2006

What exactly is "hackish" about Gentoo?

Yes, on the one hand you have to wait for things to compile - but I can
generally find other things to busy myself with while that's happening.
On the other hand I get the latest packages, packages for many
commercial games and other commercial products, a config file management
system that unlike any other distro I've used has never over-written one
of my config file changes to date unless I've told it to, and even if it
does, dispatch conf can back-up to a cvs store so you can rollback any
changes you didn't want made.

To top it all off, it uses an excellent package management system which
allows rolling updates as opposed to the monolithic updates proscribed
by other distros and allows you to individual mask, unmask and control
the features installed for all packages. In addition, since the package
management system is built on bash script, it's a doddle to
roll-your-own (see http://allenjb.me.uk/ for some of mine) or correct
bugs or just things you don't like in others in minutes.

The way the package management system is written also means that if, for
example, you're on amd64 arch, but there's a package you want that's
currently marked x86 arch only, with a couple of lines you can "unmask"
it and install it. If it works you then be a good citizen and file an
issue - most likely it'll shortly be marked "testing" on your arch, if
not there's probably a good reason.

But, I don't see what's hackish about any of that. If anything - your
binary distro's are more hackish because they get around problems with
different library versions and such by forcing everyone to exactly the
same version of every product and no support for naything else.

As for Gentoo on laptops - I've been running my laptop on Gentoo for
well over 6 months with no problems at all. If anything I personally
think Gentoo is better for laptops than binary distros because you can
conserve more battery power by not running a lot of the cruft binary
distros force on you - all those different sound daemons for example
(both my main PC and laptop run perfectly on pure alsa)

Allen =P