[Klug-general] OpenStreetMap is coming to Maidstone

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 09:33:48 UTC 2008

Hello,

Its been 18 months since OpenStreetMap - the open source project that's
creating a free map of the world - came to Kent.  This weekend we're coming
back to Maidstone.  Why free maps?  Why bother?  Why not use Google?
Services like Google maps might appear to be free, but the data behind the
map actually costs 100s of millions of dollars to license.  The company who
Google license the data from (TeleAtlas) place a lot of restrictions on
using the maps that Goolge provide:

With Google Maps, can I:

Use maps in a mobile app?  NO
Use maps in live tracking apps?  NO
Create derived works?  NO
Share the maps with others?  NO
Access the underlying data?  NO
Make my own customised map?  NO

You can do all this and more with OpenStreetMap!

The OSM community now has over 71,000 worldwide members who are walking,
cycling and driving the roads and footpaths of the world, creating free
maps.  See for yourself:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.5164&lon=-0.1259&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

OSM needs the help of tireless hackers and free software pioneers like you.
OpenStreetMap volunteers will be meeting at Yum Yum's Cafe, Rose Lane at
10am on Saturday November to plan the weekend's mapping activities in
Maidstone.  Everyone is invited to attend - no previous experience is
necessary, full training will be given by OSM volunteers and we'll have GPS
units to lend out.

For more info or to sign up -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Maidstone_Micro_Mapping_Party , ping
me at nick at blacksworld.net or reply to this thread.