[Klug-general] Dover Meeting

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 13:36:42 UTC 2008

Dan,

I hit this problem with my laptop at some point.  The problem is there
are two options when you install a distro:

1:  Install grub (or lilo)
2:  Don't install

When I put fedora 8 on my laptop (alongside Ubuntu and another operating
system) I thought "right, no need to do the grub install - I'll just
stick with the Ubuntu install in the MBR, which points to Grub on the
boot partition, and I'll add the grub lines for Ubuntu into that."  WEll
the trouble is that if you say "Don't install" it doesn't write the
grub.conf file either, so you don't know what the lines to add to the
other config file should be.

What I ended up having to do was let fedora install, and re-write the
MBR to point to its copy of Grub.  Then I started grub at the command
line and re-installed it on the MBR to point to the Ubuntu boot
partition, and then finally edited the grub.conf in the boot partition
to include the lines from the fedora grub.conf.

The main thing to watch out for is that when you are telling grub which
partition to boot from it has a different numbering scheme from the way
that disks/partitions are numbered on the filesystem. for example sda1
is hd0,0 and sda2 is hd0,1  The commands you want are something like:

root(hd0,X)
setup(hd0)
quit

were X in my case was 1 - for the Ubuntu /boot partition.  If it would
help the next time I have the laptop on I'll send you my grub.conf

Regards,
Mike