[Klug-general] Java problems on upgrade

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:55:39 UTC 2009

danattwood wrote:
> Mike Rentell wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the interest and support Stuart. But I finally lost patience
>> with it when it failed to find my CDs. It will find system DVDs but when
>> I put a music CD in the slot it simply ignored it.
>>
>> I re-installed Mandriva 2008 (32 bit) yesterday afternoon, updated
>> on-line this morning and am back to square one with everything working
>> faultlessly.
>>
>> I think I will let Mandriva work on their 64-bit offering for another
>> couple of years before trying it again.
>>
>> It's broke.
>>
>> But thanks for trying to help.
>>
>> MikeR
>>
>> Stuart Brand wrote:
>>

> I think it's probably unfair to say that it's broke - however like all
> 64 bit linux distros I've tried it's probably  much better suited to be
> a server at the moment rather then a desktop machine. I've recently gone
> back to 32bit ubuntu on my desktop as I got fed up have to try to make
> things work - with 32bit it's not a problem.

Maybe 5 years ago but i've been using 64bit gentoo for 4 years without a
problem. Also, apart from things like flash there has never been any
64bit problems. Sometimes you just need to have the time to fix these
things and to make a bug report. I also find it impossible to believe
that Mandrake hasn't had a perfectly running 64bit offering for at least
3 years.