[Klug-general] CD Rom Writing

dan danattwood at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 1 08:57:05 UTC 2009

Ok there are a few points here;

> Moral, Don't be too clever and don't try and write files stored on a
> network share to a CD.
Actually you can copy files on cd over the network using gnome. However
you have to use gvfs. In order to do this mount the network using using
'connect ot server' in the places menu. Then browse to your home folder
and turn on the option to view hidden files. You'll now see a folder
called '.gvfs' and within that folder a will be your mounted network
share. You can drag files and folders from here into the cd and it will
burn them without error

Admittedly this process isn't very intuitive and as such should probably
be posted as a bug/ feature request with gnome

> The truth is, GUI are bad, they give silly short error messages that
> don't even surgest where the problem is, and hide real detail that is
> important,
Actually no. The truth is that you tried to do something in the way that
you expected it to work and it didn't.  Plus to make things worse the
error message is badly worded. It should say something like 'unable to
burn files from a network share please copy them to a local drive
first'. Had the message said this you would have immediately been able
to sort the problem and burn the cd with the gui tools.

This goes against the ethos of gnome, which is make everything as simple
as possible and as such I will be posting a bug report about this
launchpad and probably with gnome as well and then who know perhaps the
issue will be fixed

> This has always been the problem with Windows
Actually Windows will let you do exactly what you were trying to do. You
can drag files from the network share into the cd, it then automatically
copies the files into a temp location on the hard disk and lets you burn
the cd.