[Klug-general] Linux and Open Standards in Public Government Organisations

James Blake jimmyblake at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 10:52:32 UTC 2009

Good luck in the new role.

I have quite some experience in providing services to government, both
central and local.  It us not just commercial products that they seem
to orientate to, but it is also the standards they use.  Proprietary
risk assessment standards such as CRAMM, OCTAVE rather than their open
source equivalents; security architectures such as SABSA rather than
the open source TOGAF.

Part of this are the constraints imposed (from a security perspective)
by CESG (the information assurance arm of our GCHQ spy agency, and the
biggest pain in my posterior).  They only allow specific products and
they, on the whole very unsavvy about open source.

The other issue with CESG is that they don't tend to accredit
products, but rather 'configurations'.  The flexibility of open source
and the lack of a vendor forcing a particular way of deployment
actually works against open source in government environments.

You'd think they would like the ability to review and analyse the
code, but the open source community can't provide guaranteed times-to-
fix under vulnerability management polices like vendors can - even
though the time-to-fix is considerably better most of the time.

Regards

James

--
Sent from the mobile device of James Blake