[Klug-general] Linux and Open Standards in Public GovernmentOrganisations

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 13 16:14:53 UTC 2009

Hi all

Apologies for jumping onto this thread rather late.

Now that the Framework that governs how both Local and Central Government
can decide on which products and services to be used has been amended to
allow FOS, the first step has been completed.  Although this may open the
gates to those IT individuals who are far sighted and have the necessary
expertise, there is still a lot of groundwork that needs to be covered
before Government will adopt FOS wholesale, or even partially.

The biggest problem is, as James alludes to, that of in life support.

I'm afraid that within the UK at the moment, there is no one organisation
that can offer the type of support that a Government IT buyer is looking
for, unless that person is factoring in the training requirements for their
in-house support organisation.

The other thing to remember as well is that most of the UK Government IT
requirements is out sourced, and working for one of those approved
companies, we certainly embrase FOS internally, but don't have the necessary
expertise to offer it out to our customer base.  This is mainly down to the
same problem as detailed by James - there are no ways in which SLAs (Service
Level Agreements) or T2F (Time To Fix) contracts with appropriate penalty
clauses can be obtained from the relevant FOS project.  Yes, you have the
likes of REL and Cononical that provide Enterprise grade support, but that
is for their entire platform, not just for, say, Open Office.

So, until either ourselves or one of our competitors are willing to take the
big, and it is a very big step in the current financial climate, to take
these penalties in-house, FOS is doomed to live it's life outside of Central
Government, and most of Local Government - look at the Birmingham City
Council web site fiasco as an example.

Having painted this picture of doom and gloom, there is the silver lining
that Colin indicated in his post - taking the longer view, the more students
at all levels  that are introduced to FOS, the more likelyhood there is of
it's adoptation as time goes by .... good phrase that, wonder if I could
make a TV sitcom out of it ....

Cheers

Ian
An ex-Kent lurker