[Klug-general] Custom ATX sized heatsink

nic dan dungeons88 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 23 18:55:41 UTC 2009

"I'm not making life easy for myself am I?!"

If this is a marine application, I would avoid using the 1U case, altogether if possible,
and give it more air, and mount the mobo vertically so whatever heatsink you use, has both
natural convection/conduction/air flow through the case, with the psu at the bottom,
and the hard drives mounted on their own heatsink ally sheet

Consider also spray varnishing the board, to seal against corrosive elements,
use electrically conductive paint on all connections [except gold] and avoid the copper heatsink,
especially near an ally one, unless you varnish all exposed copper
 - they tend to use copper for shiny appearance through perspex sided cases
in a marine environment that would turn to verdigris very quickly
 - corrosion eats components, voraciously....
I have a 120x100x55high ally h/s on a skt478 2.4Ghz single core fanless, which gets pretty damn warm!

Cutting corners on costs on marine kit often puts sailors on rocks!!

You only have one life and you never know if that piece of kit will be called upon to keep you alive,

in emergency, using a 3G modem, for example, when your vhf fails.....

Maybe time for a re-think/re-plan on your strategy??

Hope you don't find this too alarmist....

Aitch :)

> To: kent at mailman.lug.org.uk
> From: alex at alexlayfield.force9.co.uk
> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:04:42 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Klug-general] Custom ATX sized heatsink
>
> It does seem as if the core2duo can be passively cooled, but yes, with a large heatsink.
>
> I went on to the Akasa website, where they have a pretty Cu one, only 1u high but needs some air movement.
>
> The hardware needs to be pretty tight, as it's for marine application.
>
> ##Si sachets may be useful.
>
> Sealed unit will become an oven if I don't pipe out to a case heatsink.
>
> What I'm after is a company that can mill such custom heatsinks.
>
> Most companies I've seen only do smaller ones.
>
> Maplins do one that's 150mm x 100mm...
>
> I need to know the max TDP for the whole shabang, really.
>
> Apparently not a good idea to share heatsink between Chipset & CPU, so perhaps two of those 150mm chaps could work.
>
> Another issue I have is different metals touching each other in damp salty air (corrosive).
>
> One solution would be to use Au throughout. But I'm trying to keep costs low.
>
> I'm not making life easy for myself am I?!
>

> /A

MSN straight to your mobile - news, entertainment, videos and more.

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/