[Klug-general] Hesitant steps with samba

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 4 08:46:29 UTC 2010

With all the recent advice rendered by KLUGers I have managed to
reinstate my simple home network using samba and I can see my backup
directories on my old machine when using konqueror. I just put:

smb://micks-desktop-old/backups

into the search address of konqueror and there they are. Fine - thanks
to all for suggestions. That worked.

I want this facility in order to do a backup of my complete /home/mick
directory to that directory using the samba connection. I've succeeded
using a simple drag and drop for the first complete backup but that took
4 hours - even at 6 Mbps (lots of data).

Now I want to do what I used to be able to do with NFS which is use
grsync (or any similar tool) to copy over my /home/mick files but if the
file has not changed, then ignore it. That way I used to be able to do
it in under an hour.

However, grsync isn't able to understand the
smb://micks-desktop-old/backups in the target box. That's a bit
disappointing considering that konqueror can do it fine.

Can anyone help with a suggestion for a different backup program or just
a simple cli script which will do this simple backup.

Thanks to all who helped so far.
MikeR