[Klug-general] cp & gvfs-cp

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Mon Aug 9 17:19:36 UTC 2010

> And asked me to compare `cp` and `gvfs-cp` to see the difference in
> performance.
>
> However, how do I do this?! Where is the server mounted (I've looked
> under /media and /mnt)? And how can you compare cp and gvfs-cp if cp
> is just a local operation? I'm kind of confused...

You will find that anything visible via gvfs is 'virtually mounted' in a
directory in your home directory called .gvfs  The . will mean it
doesn't show up in normal ls listings but you can see it if you use ls
-a and you can cd to it with cd .gvfs  and you should be able to use
normal cp etc with that.

In addition I think you can access anything mounted with sshfs using
something like ssh://whatever/wherever and you should be able to use
gvfs-ls and gvfs-cp etc on that format.  If you get into the directory
using the file browser try clicking on it and seeing what nautilus (the
file browser) has for its location.  (Change the location to be a text
based rather than buttons using the button to the left)  That will be
what you use in the gvfs-cp version of the command line.

Mike