[Klug-general] Volunteer Workshop

Glen Skiner junkfoodjunki at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 16:53:18 UTC 2013

Hello everybody,

I need your help for a project I have in mind.

Firstly for my workshop I want to recycle computers.  It does not matter
what type the are as they will be used in a free workshop to show those
interested how to strip and build computers to be later sold on to others
with Linux replacing Windows.
As for where they come from, I envision harvesting company's and council's
"throw-a-way's" after bulk upgrades - according to a source, council's do
this every two years - but to start out I will take what I can, laptops
included.

Secondly I will need a relatively cheap arena to host the workshop - a
hall, an office to rent on a weekly basis, someone's spacious garage or
living room - as well as people who would be interested in learning.  Now I
understand that I am asking a lug here and that we all (should?!) know how
to strip and build computers, but maybe you know someone who doesn't and
would like to learn. A friend? A family member? A colleague? Of course the
upshot here is that they will also learn how to install Linux and be able
to upgrade themselves in the future as well as become and "Linux advocate".

Lastly, if you know of individuals and/or organisations that are in need of
cheep computers, e.g. schools, hospitals, outreach programmes, other
volunteers, please let me know.

Being that I own a Ford Fiesta and reside in Swanley I can obtain only a
small amount of equipment at a time and would ideally like to start
somewhere within a 10 mile radius of my self.

In the future, if all goes well, I will be needing a second pair of hands
to help with collecting, delivering and supporting me within the wokshop
teaching others.

Any information about my above ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Glen Skinner