[Klug-general] xorg woes

Paul Lenton lentonp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 19:25:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with xorg (specifically the xorg.conf file) on
xubuntu 14.04. I'm using the NVIDIA supplied drivers because I play
League of Legends (please don't judge me =p ) and the stock driver
doesn't cut it.
Whenever I reboot my machine, the xorg.conf file disappears and I have
to tty1, kill lightdm, manually copy my xorg.conf.backup to xorg.conf
and restart the X server - a process which is becoming more than a
little tedious.

The issue of xorg.conf not being persistent is an older one (changes to
my second screen didn't persist across reboots) but now it's actually
deleting every time I reboot I've decided to finally do something about
it but quickly realised that my ideas ran out past putting a script that
does the above in an @reboot cronjob!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this issue might be solved?
Failing that, does anyone know if this is an issue in Debian? I'm
thinking of switching, having some issues with the direction of the
*buntu family, and if my xorg woes will be solved I might just make the
switch ahead of the Debian 8 release.

Cheers

--
Paul