[Klug-general] General advice for NFS4 authentication on SOHO

jwmartnet . jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 12:09:03 UTC 2015

I've not had NFS+Kerberos working since getting Samba working the
other day. Eventually figured out I had the syntax of /etc/fstab
confused with /etc/exports so instead of trying to mount a share with

server:/ /mp nsf4 sec=krb5,rw,users,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

I was doing

server:/ /mp nsf4 gss/krb5(rw,users,noauto,x-systemd.automount) 0 0

Which would throw unknown device messages when attempting to mount.

It was only when I successfully mounted manually that I figured it out:

sudo mount server:/ -t nfs4 -o sec=krb5 /mp

I had read somewhere that using sec=krb5 was deprecated in
/etc/exports. Has had me going round in circles for days.