[Lancaster] Fwd: (Fwd) [ecampaigning] Invite - a proposal for a 'Community Comp

max max at tofubandits.org.uk
Fri Dec 6 11:19:01 2002

Hi LLUGers

I'm forwarding this from Mobbsey - mobbsey@gn.apc.org - any expressions of
interest should go back to him, although it would be interesting to hear
ppl's thougths :-)

max

Send reply to:  	<ecampaigning@cupboard.org>
From:           	Paul Mobbs <mobbsey@gn.apc.org>
To:             	ecampaigning@cupboard.org
Date sent:      	Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:37:28 +0000
Subject:        	[ecampaigning] Invite - a proposal for a 'Community
 Computing' e-Journal.

What about documenting all this work on trash computers? -
a proposal for a 'Community Computing' e-Journal.

I'm sending this to about 40 addresses around the UK and some other contacts
in a few other countries. Hopefully this'll rustle-up a critical mass to make
a start. Also, forward to anyone you think will be interested in the idea.

Ever since starting up the web pages for the Community-Linux Training Centre
I've been getting email from people saying, "we're doing something like
that". Quite a few of them then continue on a themes like, "but, we're having
problems with..." and "is anyone else doing this who can help?".

It occurs to me that there's a gap out there for something that promotes the
type of work we're variously involved with. Yes, we could have a sort of
'virtual Linux user group' based around a list, but it's not a very friendly
form of content to those on the 'outside'. Often Linux User Groups are a
little preoccupied with the technology rather than its application to the
resource restricted environment of community computing. So, what about a more
formally organised 'e-Journal' to support those with an interest in using
reclaimed technology (of all types - media as well as computers) and Linux?

The idea I have would be a collection of 10 to 15 articles in each edition
every 2 to 3 months - and a lot of graphics/images rather than the heavy,
dense text of many e-journals. This might sound a lot, but there seems to be
a lot of groups out there now using Linux in the community, reclaiming old
computers/audio-visual equipment for community uses, or developing new
concepts of virtual organising and local pressure politics using online
networks. The journal would be able to function as:

* Part communicator - providing informative articles on community-based
computing, using Linux, media, electronics and related issues;

* Part networker- updating on current activities by the groups involved in
community computing, and publicising events or workshops (and perhaps a
parallel aim of building links between the north and south to assist
technology transfer to developing countries);

* Part lobbyist - community uses of technology will be a major loser in the
new world of digital rights management, and at the same time the mainstream
Linux world is putting more of its effort into the business and educational
world... we need a voice for low-tech computing.

The other idea is, as the whole process will be contributory, that the whole
package should be released under an open license. This requires that those
supplying articles, images and other graphics (hell, it's online, why not
video?) make them available to the journal under an agreed open license
(e.g., GPL). That would mean any benefits from later extraction or
publication go to those supplying the information rather than the journal.

We'd probably have to experiment a bit with the format to find a structure
that's a hybrid of both and online and offline publication. To minimise
effort it would be easier to publish the journal as a Postscript/PDF file (a
free Adobe Acrobat equivalent file format, readable with Acrobat Reader) from
a word processor. This would enable easy publication and dissemination
offline. But the journal's content could be augmented online by supplying any
additional files or data described in the content.

Anyone interested in the idea? I'm happy to edit the first few editions, and
supply the web space for distribution. What's required is:

their details for some sort of back-cover directory of organisations involved
in this area; and

* A handful of volunteers to work together reviewing/reality checking the
content before publication; and

* Some articles, graphics, cartoons and other news/events information for
publication - how would people feel about a first deadline of January 31st
(for publication in early February); and

* A title for the journal - options like (after some discussion),  "Community
Computing" (a little official, but 'does what is says on the tin'), "The
Low-Tech Journal" (has cyberpunk overtones), "Byte-back" (sounds nice, but I
don't get it) or "Community-Technology-Networks" (sounds a little ambitious).

Anyhow - if anyone's interested get in touch - to mobbsey@gn.apc.org - and
I'll try and sort out something to jump-start the process.

P.

- - --
- - -------------------

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - mobbsey@gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey.html
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/keylist.html

------- End of forwarded message ---------
Best Regards.

Charlie Harvey,
IT Officer,
People & Planet (previously Third World First)
Email : charlie@peopleandplanet.org
On-line : http://peopleandplanet.org
Address : 51 Union Street, Oxford. OX4 1JP
Telephone : 01865 245 678

PLEASE HELP US TO COMBAT WORLD POVERTY, DEFEND
HUMAN RIGHTS AND PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT.
Support the work of People & Planet with a donation. We
rely on gifts from our supporters to continue to run
effective campaigns. Donations from individuals, ranging
from £1 to £100 a month, make all the difference.
Thank You.

TO MAKE A DONATION
Request a standing order form by emailing
donations@peopleandplanet.org, call us on
01856 245678, or write to People & Planet, 51 Union
Street, Oxford, OX4 1JP. Standing orders give us ongoing
support and allow us to plan more effectively. You can
cancel or change your standing order at anytime.
Or send a cheque payable to People & Planet to the above
address.