[Lancaster] Folly Computers

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 01:27:00 2003

It's all working fine and dandy (ish). We got five x-terminals working by the
end of last week, the only problem being that the server machine won't take
XDMCP connections unless it can see the gateway to the rest of the internet,
which seems odd. Four are running Mandrake, one we could only get working
with debian. There's one more machine that looks like it might be worth
trying some time, and too many more will probably overload the server, as
it's running heavily into swap already. (Taylor said he'd look at getting
more RAM)
Max gave a talk and hands-on linux session on Monday afternoon for the two
week tecchy/arty crossover workshops that are running at the folly this
fortnight, and after about quarter of an hour of the two of us running round
wondering why it all fell down at the crucial moment, everything went fine.

As for what now - I'd suggest we try to get as many people as possible to the
next lug meeting and see where it goes from there. Off the top of my head,
some of the things I'd like to see happening at the monthly meetings are -
- swapping ideas about cool things to do with linux
- showing each other projects we're working on.
- showing each other how to use and configure particular applications.
- a chance to play with things you can only do on a small network, like the
X-server-X-terminal thing.
- an opportunity to shamelessly indulge in geek talk without feeling like a
freak.
- showing linux newbies around the system.

What's on my mind about all this is that the main thing that's been holding
the group together lately is having the common project of getting the
machines in the kitchen working, and what's going to happen now this is
mostly done? The optimistic scenario is that now there are some public access
linux machines in lancaster for people to see running, loads of people in the
town will start getting into linux, the lug will really take off, and at some
point we will be dimly remembered through the mists of time and history as
the brave pioneers who got it all started, once upon a time <strokes
imaginary long white beard>.

andy

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under spam unless I'm expecting an email which hasn't