[Lancaster] EU to vote on computer software patents.

Andrew Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 18:11:00 2003

I just found out the EU parliament is voting on Sep 1st on a directive which
would legalise unlimited patenting of computer software. I sent the following
email to all the North West MEPs - if you want to do the same, here are the
addresses,

andy.

linglewood@europarl.eu.int, arlene.mccarthy@easynet.co.uk, ratsmep@aol.com,
contact@gary-titley-mep.new.labour.org.uk, dsumberg@europarl.eu.int,
chrisdaviesmep@cix.co.uk, twynn@europarl.eu.int, ddover@europarl.eu.int,
briansimpson@lab.u-net.com, jfoster@europarl.eu.int

hello,

I am writing because I have recently heard that the European Parliament is to
vote on Sep 1st on a directive (COM(2002)92 2002/0047) which would legalise
the unlimited patenting of computer software and business models implemented
using this, against current practice and the opinion of a wide body of people
in the computer industry. Although I am not a professional programmer, I am a
user of and part-time contributor to the open source computer operating
system known as 'linux', which depends for its existence on the ability of
people who are motivated to write software for free release to use their own
creativity to write programs as they wish without having to avoid tripping
over previous patents which in most cases they may not even be aware of.

In many cases the kinds of patents which are now being allowed through, due to
a gradual and deliberate erosion of the letter and spirit of existing law,
cover quite trivial innovations which any competent programmer would think of
naturally as part of their craft. To give an example of the height of
absurdity the situation is reaching, the European Patent Office has recently
granted a patent to Amazon.com covering all computer-based methods of
automatically delivering a gift to someone else. So if, for example, a shop
in Lancaster where I live wanted a web site which people could use to send a
gift to a friend or relative, they would be bound to pay a license fee to
Amazon. This runs counter to the existing Article 52 of the European Patent
Convention of 1973, which explicitly excludes computer software and business
practices from patentability; currently computer software is covered by
copyright law only, which has a different effect.

In other words, lawyers paid by large computer companies have for years been
using their rhetorical skills to deliberately erode the clearly stated view
of the European Community on the issue of software patents, in a way that is
harmful to free innovation in the industry and in the end benefits no-one,
and are now looking to the EC to enshrine their activities in new law.

I hope that you will resist this trend by voting against the motion and
requesting that the draft directive be rewritten in a way which takes account
of the interests of the broader community of computer users and
professionals, rather than the narrow interests of a few companies and the
lawyers who profit from their activities.

I have included some web references at the end of this email which you might
wish to read if you want to look into this issue for yourself. Having made my
main point, I would like to finish with some words on open source software
and the importance of open standards in making the internet what it is, which
you may read or not as you wish.

I am writing this email on a program called
kmail which is part of the linux open source operating system. It probably
looks much like the program running on the computer screen you are now sat in
front of reading this email - a window I can type messages into, a scrolling
list of received messages, buttons to press to send and receive mail and so
on. This program and the others on my computer have been written by people
across the world who enjoy writing software for others to use, and prefer to
work in a spirit of open collaboration similar to the tradition of academic
research, where although due credit is given to previous work, others are
free to build on that as they wish. Having downloaded my own copy for free, I
do what I can to put back into this community by giving advice to other users
on the internet newsgroups and writing small programs. A nice thing about
linux from my point of view as someone somewhere between the complete novice
and the experienced programmer is that if I see a simple problem with the
system that I know how to fix, I can do it myself, then make the patch
available for others to use. Although open source software is not exactly
mainstream, it is one of the more interesting social developments in the
computer world in recent years, and is gathering momentum as time goes by,
particularly among the younger generation of computer programmers, and many
talented people across the world are putting their energy into it. It should
also not be written off as marginal - for example the latest Macintosh
operating system uses an open source system as its core, and just under half
of the web's busiest sites use the open source program 'apache' as their
webserver. If the current trend towards patenting ever more trivial software
innovations is allowed to continue, this movement, which I wish to see
flourish, will be threatened, as many of the people writing open source code
do not have the financial resources to defend themselves against patent
infringement suits which, as is the way of these things, may in some cases
not be justified even in the narrowest sense.

Another area in which software patenting may have a bad effect is in its
impact on the open standards which the internet is currently based on. At the
moment, these are discussed among a range of interested parties, then
published as official standards which anyone may use. So although there are
many different web browsers and editors on a range of computer platforms,
some of which are proprietory, the protocols which these programs use to talk
to each other are open, preventing any one organisation from controlling the
system. Similarly with things like email - I can send an email to anyone who
has an address, and it does not matter that their mailreader is Eudora, but
mine is kmail. Microsoft among others have tried in various ways to erode
these common protocols and lock people into proprietory systems which they
control; so far without much success, as open standards like Java /
JavaScript have generally won out over things like Microsoft's similar
technology. However, software patenting gives more power to those who wish to
make the internet proprietory, and takes it from those who wish to keep
things open. If software is protected under copyright law, then the
particular code someone has written to implement a means of communication is
legally protected, but another party is also free to write code which does
the same thing in a different way, and thus keep communication open. Under
patent law the situation would be different - the concept of that protocol
would protected rather than a particular implementation, so companies would
be able to use the law to lock users into their particular system and thus
create a divided internet where users can only talk to others who have bought
into the same system. In human terms, this would be as if someone had a
patent on a major world language, and could charge license fees from those
they let speak it, and stop the mouths of those they didn't. I hope you can
see why moves in this direction should be resisted.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

yours sincerely, andrew baxter.

http://swpat.ffii.org/ - Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure
http://ukcdr.org/ - Campaign for digital rights, uk.
http://www.fsf.org/ - free software foundation.
http://www.durak.org/sean/pubs/bss/ - web server market share.
http://www.linux.org/info/index.html - linux online

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which