[Lancaster] Sound on Linux

Tim Churchill tchurchill at omne.uk.net
Thu Aug 5 14:24:48 BST 2004

I have temporarily given up on using sound on ArkLinux, due to lack
of editing programs. I have managed to get them to package Ardour,
but didn't have enough knowledge to get it to run. I have since
learnt that one needs Jack installed and running before Ardour will
run.

After some thought and research I have downloaded Fedora core 1 and
then used Planet CCRMA's patched kernel and some of their software.
This gave me the ability to run Ardour and Audacity using the AC97
onboard sound system of the PC and OSS. I then attempted to install
and configure ALSA to replace OSS. This gets rid of OSS, but has
landed me with a modules.conf file that I don't understand and Jack
refusing to start The error message I get is <jackstart: pcm.c:690:
snd_pcm_nonblock: Assertion 'pcm' failed. Aborted.>

The sound configuration GUI doesn't show ALSA as an option. Has
anyone any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Tim.