[Lancaster] Prep for next meeting.

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Thu Jan 8 14:19:53 GMT 2004

On Thursday 08 Jan 2004 13:40, you wrote:
> On 2004.01.08 11:05, Martyn Welch wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Last October it must have been, I was able to get hold of a car load
> > of
> > Pentium based machines to possibly replace some of the older PC's on
> > the
> > folly / increase the number of machines that were available. From
> > discussions
> > at the time I think Taylor felt comfortable with the number of
> > machines that
> > were there already.
> >
> > Since many of the boxes were near identical inside (as well as
> > outside) I
> > think the concensus was that replacing some of the old machines with
> > these,
> > to improve performance and aesthetics.
>
> Sounds like a good idea, if they're better than the ones we have
> already. Though the performance of the clients isn't that important
> unless we're trying to do some kind of distributed processing thing.

Agreed, although newer hardware maybe a little more resilient to breaking down
and we might as well use it since we have it!

> > At the time I think it was thought that doing this work at a separate
> > time
> > would be preferable, rather than taking up all of the next few lug
> > meetings
> > do it. I have however been very busy of late and have neglected to
> > find any
> > time to do this / remember very little about what we had planned to
> > do.
>
> If I find the energy (I have loads of time...), I'll get started on
> this b4 the meeting.

Great! I'm guessing that the best course of action would be to decide on a
distro and use one of the old machines as a ftp server or NFS server (pref.
one of the faster ones with a reasonable size HD) and create a local mirror.
This should speed up installation once we get 5-6 machines installing at
once!

> > Has anyone done any work on these machines / can anyone remember what
> > the
> > plans were? Are we going to install mandrake on them as we did with
> > the last
> > lot? At one point there was some talk of installing Debian on them as
> > this
> > may provide a stronger platform in terms of maintainence with them
> > being used
> > as thin clients.
>
> My vote's for debian. but that's just because it's what I'm used to at
> home. Debian does have some programs for managing multiple identical
> installations over the net, which might be useful.

I'm happy to use debian if everyone else is...

Do these tools allow you to save the list of packages installed on one machine
and replicate them in a second install (if so Mandrake has something
similar). That would greatly ease installation!

We also need to think of some way to create a backup for the machines so that
they can be quickly restored to a default setup if things go wrong in the
future to save loads of time having to be spent reinstalling. It might be
worth installing on a single partion with a second equal sized partion for
creating a image of the drive - if anything goes wrong use a rescue disk and
write the mirror over the primary partion.

> > Either way it would be worth setting up a machine at the folly to
> > work
> > as a
> > distro mirror, for which ever distro we are to use, get some boot
> > disks
> > prepared so that we can get them all installing roughly at the same
> > time at
> > the start of the next meeting if no other time is going to become
> > available.
> > Does anyone have any experience with installing debian from a network
> > mirror?
> > - from memory this is the default method.
>
> I had to do this to reinstall my CD-less debian server the other day,
> and it wasn't difficult - just mount the iso of the first disk as a
> loopback in the ftp directory of a machine running proftpd, and copy
> the 6 network boot floppy images onto floppy, then go through the
> installation.

I think it would be preferable if one of the old machines was setup with a
copy of the software on the HD, once we get a number of computers
simultaneously installing the CD would become a major bottleneck!

Also would downloading from a mirror on the web may get us an updated version,
or have you got a copy of the latest stable release on CD? A CD would be
quicker to copy to the HD than an external mirror.

> There are a couple of ideas I had about things that could be done in
> this space, which I would like to talk about at the meeting - the main
> idea was to make it so there is an easy way for people to move data
> from their home machines to a server at the folly which can be accessed
> from that room. This way, people who have computers at home but, like
> me, sometimes get bored of always working on projects by themselves in
> the house, could go into the folly and have the same data available
> there, with there being some way of making sure that the two were kept
> synchronised. I've been looking into a distributed filesystem called
> coda, which has been developed at cmu (http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/)
> university in the states, which might be able to do this, but more low
> tech solutions might be just as good (even just an ftp server would be
> a help.) Any thoughts on this welcome. The idea is that room could
> become a place for people to do computer stuff (could be programming,
> websites, music/video/graphics or web browsing/email) and be able to
> share ideas and ask for help with problems, rather than be working at
> home which I sometimes find quite isolating.

I guess this would have to be discussed with Taylor, this would be server side
stuff and would also have to be live on the web. I would bend towards OpenSSH
(ssh, scp, sftp...) rather than ftp as ftp sends plain text passwords and is
thus a security risk...

> Another idea is to run a course on installing and using linux, maybe
> through the adult college.

Sounds cool, however it might be a little short for a course and would be a
lot of work and commitment.

> andy.

Martyn