[Lancaster] CD Burners

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 18:15:24 BST 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 16:53, Tim Churchill wrote:
> > You
>
> might have to avoid having other stuff thrash the disk / ide bus
> though,
> the data has to keep coming fast enough. Possibly more modern ones
> avoid
> this, I'm not sure <
>
> Practically all IDE burners are 'burn-proof' now, unless you use a
> second hand one. They need to be set for DMA (can you do that under
> Linux?) though, as I've seen one fail when it wasn't and too much was
> asked of it. Even so, I wouldn't recommend trying to do anything much
> else while burning is in progress unless you have a very fast PC as
> burning has such a high priority that anything else goes at a crawl.

that shouldn't matter, i would have thought? I thought that the priority just
meant the high priority process gets first chance at any free cycles. but
when it's waiting on blocked IO or something, those cycles are available for
other processes.

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which