[Lancaster] Linux on a Laptop

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Wed Jun 2 12:22:46 BST 2004

Martyn,

The look and feel of Mandrake installer is good. In SuSE v9.1, Yast
seems more 'polished' and has taken in some aspects of Mandrake. eg a
friendly progress list down the left side of the display. SuSE now
provides auto mounting of CDs, etc and it seems to work well. This was
an aspect of Mandrake which in my limited experience was a bit iffy.

BTW, I've run 'remote X' on the laptop from an Athlon box. I still have
the problem that the command 'X -broadcast' won't work. X runs, but
doesn't find the Athlon box. Have run with firewall disabled, but that
didn't solve it. 'X -query <IP address>' is OK. Can't figure it out. The
Athlon is OK as 'X -broadcast' works using an earlier distro on my test
box. Any suggestions?

I run 'xdm' on the Athlon box.

Ken Hough

Martyn Welch wrote:

 > As a mandrake fan I have to say that sometimes it's less than
perfect, > however I prefer the look and feel and have grown quite
atttached to urpmi...