[Lancaster] Taking the lug forwards.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 7 23:07:13 BST 2004

Rupert Levene wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 02:19:52PM +0100, max wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday 02 Jun 2004 2:08 pm, Martyn Welch wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Max,
>>>
>>>You might want to concider reading this before approaching the
>>>library, I think that it is very relevant to the CD case.
>>
>>ok - but what? :-)
>

> This is a complete guess, but perhaps this?
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/nonav/issues/showattachment.cgi/11838/Open%20Source%20CD%20in%20libraries%20Howto.pdf

I eventually got around to reading this. Long, but very enightening!
It's clear that in order to get open source CDs accepted by libraries
demands a lot of time, effort (or rather dedication) and quite some
expense. My belief is that our (limited?) efforts would be best directed
at getting conventional books about Linux onto the shelves. Max seems to
have that one worked out. Perhaps we should all spend 70p or whatever at
our local libraries.

Before we do that, let's try to decide on appropriate titles. I suggest
that as we are trying to introduce people to the concepts of open souce
and Linux, that the contents of the books should not be too heavyweight.