[Lancaster] Fwd: Re: installing the web server

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 09:52:43 BST 2004

- ------ Original message ------
On Friday 11 Jun 2004 07:38, Martyn Welch wrote:

> Subject: Re: installing the web server
> Date: Thursday 10 June 2004 19:22
> From: "andy baxter" <skullcap23 at hotmail.com>
> To: welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
>
> could you copy this to the list? - my smtp sending is still down.

No Problem :)

> Went in today to set up the guest-config thing we talked about. I.e. there
> is an account called guest-config which is an image of how all the guest
> accounts should be set up when someone first logs in. I put a script in
> /etc/X11/xinit.d (called from the Xsession script) which checks to see if
> it's a guest account, and if it is, deletes all the contents of the home
> directory, then copies it from /home/guest-config.
>
> /home/guest-config is set up with a Desktop folder which becomes the guest
> account's Desktop. This has a link in it to a file
> /home/guest-config/help.txt, which we can put any user help info into. The
> Desktop dir is completely deleted and recreated whenever someone logs in,
> so the Desktop will always start off looking how we've set it up, and any
> files saved there will be deleted at the start of the next session.

It might be am idea to now place some nice large icons on the desktop for
"surf the internet", "write a document", "draw a picture", etc. I did this on
my gran's and sister's PCs which made life easy for them.

Since we now have a wiki up and running, could you please start a "Folly
Configuration" Section where we can add _all_ information about changes that
were made to stock installs so that it will be easier to re-create them after
HD failures, reinstalls, etc. Maybe a section for each of the computer types,
i.e. terminals, x-server, the lug server its self.

Also a section on the topology of the network would be useful for working out
optimisations/trouble shooting.

> The Documents folder is a symlink to /home/guest-shared/Documents, which is
> set chmod g+s and chown guest-config:guest, so that any new files created
> there are owned by user guest and can be read by all the guest accounts.
> I.e. if someone saves a file in Documents, it will stay between sessions,
> in case someone wants to carry on with something they were doing the next
> day.

Have a look at the umask command, it's usually run as part of /etc/bashrc
which sets default permissions for files. By creating a "guest" group and
setting the group permissions a little bit more relaxed for these accounts
than usual, the files will be able to be read and written regardless of which
guest account they were first created under.

> I also put a script in /etc/cron.hourly which removes any files in
> /home/guest-shared/Documents which are more than a month old, and sets the
> permissions on all the files in it to g+rw. This is a bit of a dirty hack -
> really it should just do the first of these and be in cron.daily, but the
> problem is the default file creation mask is set to 133, which means files
> written by guest1 are not group-writeable, and can't be written to by
> guest2. I.e. if someone saved some work and logged in the next day on
> another machine, they would have to copy their file to a new name to carry
> on working on it. If anyone knows how to set the default umask for only the
> guest users to 113, this would be a help.

Ok, next time I'll read the whole email first :)

Either do a CASE with $USERNAME in /etc/bashrc or reset the umask in
$HOME/.bashrc

> I would still like to see if there is a simple way of having just one guest
> account which maps into one of several terminal-specific accounts after
> someone has logged in, but I'm not sure how to do this. I've tested the
> thing i posted before about using xrdb to get the terminal's hostname,
> which returns something like host-192.168.3.51.folly.co.uk, so in principle
> we could have a few guest accounts with names like guest-3-51 and
> guest-3-52, but I'm not sure how to switch to the new account in the
> Xsession script, or if this is a good idea anyhow (bearing in mind ken's
> comments about simplicity). It would be nice though if there could just be
> a single poster on the wall saying 'to use these computers, log in as
> guest, password guest, then see the help file on the desktop for more
> information"

How about a bit of xdm hacking, to get it to automatically grab the hostname
and auto-login to an appropriate account?

No need for people to login then, which may pose a problem if we later want to
provide individual logins...

Alternatively have xdm or equiv. accept "guest" as a login and assign first
unused "guest-x" account?

Martyn

- --
Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)