[Lancaster] suse install report

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Tue Jun 22 21:47:32 BST 2004

Andy Baxter wrote:
> I just had a go at doing the ftp install of suse 9.1. I downloaded the whole
> ftp site to my server, and then used this to do a local http install - just
> mounted the mirror directory into apache's www directory. I managed to start
> it from a small partition on the hard disk - just copied the boot loader
> directory into a 64M partition, then set lilo to boot from that to start the
> install.

It must be good to have broadband. Some of us have to get things via
snail mail, more expensive, but that way you get 5 CDs, 2 DVDs and
manuals. It includes 64 bit versions for power freaks. Go for the
upgrade version of 9.1 Professional. Cost is then only 64 Euros (ca £45).

The default boot loader for SuSE 9.1 is grub.

> I like the Yast a lot, and I'm quite impressed with how they have
> set things up. The only criticisms from a brief look round is a couple of
> unexpected app crashes, which is disappointing,

So far, I haven't had any crashes with 9.1. Which apps crashed?

> and also the package manager
> would be easier to use if the apps were listed under sections like in
> mandrake or debian.

They can be if you so choose. Under 'Software/Install and Remove
Software/Filter'.

> Also they hadn't put rezound on it, which is a shame as
> its a nice audio editor.

I don't know rezound, but have used old broadcast2000 successfully and
have played with audacity.

> gimp 2.0 was on, unlike mandrake 10.0 which is still
> using gimp 1.2

I like gimp.

> A side effect of this is I now have 4G of suse packages on my server's hard
> disk, so if anyone wants to try a network install of 9.1, I can bring this
> machine down to the next meeting.

Alternatively, we could do it via my laptop using the DVD. SuSE will
install remotely via NFS which makes life very easy.

Then again we could do both.