[Lancaster] Setting up ftp server

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Thu May 6 22:36:35 BST 2004

Help!

I'm trying to understand how to set up ftp.

I've got a server running, as shown via a browser under
'ftp://localhost:21'. I get directories shown as follows:

bin, dev, etc, lib, msgs, pub, usr

I can use 'ftp localhost' to log into and access user accounts and
transfer files.

If I login as 'anonymous' or 'ftp', I only get the directories listed above.

Problem is that I cannot figure out how to add anything to the 'pub'
directory to do anything useful. I can find lots of info on how to use
ftp client, but nothing on how to manage/setup the server. Can anybody
point me in the right direction?

What I wish to do presently is to set up ftp access to the DVD so as to
do a remote ftp install of Debian. I've done remote installs with SuSE,
but this allows installation via NFS, which I understand. Debian does
not appear to cater for NFS.

Regards