[Lancaster] Setting up ftp server

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Fri May 7 22:22:36 BST 2004

Andy,

Thanks for your comments. I've managed to get an ftp server up (in.ftpd)
and working. Being a total idiot, I didn't realise the files for ftp are
simply copied into /srv/ftp/.

I cannot find any way of linking the contents of a DVD into this other
than a straight copy, which I've done for both SuSE v8.2 and Debian
v3.0(sarge). Thats a lot of hard disk space.

I've proved that the setup works OK by starting a network installation
of SuSE via ftp.

I cannot get the new Debian installer to recognise the (same) ftp setup.
Furthermore, after the installer failed to find the Debian files, it
locked me into a loop allowing me only to select "A mirror of the Debian
Archive". I was no longer able to manually select an ftp server.

Unless I can find a way of 'linking' the contents of the DVD drive into
the ftp setup (without copying the whole lot onto the hard drive), I
shall stick with NFS for network installs, which rules out Debian anyway.

Sorry guys, but the more I try Debian, the less I like it.

Regards