[Lancaster] Lancaster LUG

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Wed May 19 10:28:07 BST 2004

Hi!

I went down to the Folly yesterday (Wednesday) and did a bit of cleaning
of monitors, keyboards and mice. We now have three PCs in presentable
condition. Andy found we still need to sort out the 'remote X' operation
of these boxes. Maybe we could do this during the monthly meeting next
Wednesday evening (26th).

I have taken one of the remaining 'Tiny' boxes home as the serial ports
didn't seem to be working, but on checking here, all seems OK so will
return it next Wednesday.

I also moved some stuff about and did some general sorting out. Have
taken  away some junk for disposal along with four hard drives of around
200MB. Unless I hear from anybody who wants these, I will dump them.

We have a number of spare hard drives of 1GB or more, so I see little
point in hanging on to the smaller ones. There's a spare 8GB IDE drive
inside one of the server boxes that I checked out.

Taylor is looking for ideas to help get the facilities at the Folly well
known and used.

I feel that we need a two pronged approach. Firstly, some form of
advertising displayed/distributed at appropriate places. Secondly, at
the Folly, a display/demo/information about what Linux is, it's
maturity, it's worldwide useage, etc, etc. Who's good at ideas for
advertising?

I think that as well as the X terminals performing bog standard 'office'
apps and the like, we should be able to show more interesting aspects
such as multimedia and even possibly a few games. The latter two would
require a reasonably powerfull PC with 256MB or more of RAM. We need to
demonstrate a good (trendy and fun) image for Linux.

Any comments guys? What facilities do you think we should have?