[Lancaster] Folly Terminals are go!

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Thu May 27 10:50:10 BST 2004

Martyn and others,

Yep! That about sums up last evening.

I have two more points to make.

The first point comes from more than a few years working with hard nosed
project engineers/managers. This has taught me that to make good
progress it is neccssary to clearly define actions to be taken, who will
do them and when. Otherwise matters drift, become vague and eventually
dissipate.

I am quite happy to do whatever work I am able to do. I have time and
enrgy, but am limited wrt some of the expertise needed.

WRT producing advertising/publicity literature, I could do this using
the likes of SCRIBUS (I've already used this). But I'm not familiar with
the world of 'advertising'. Who can help me on this one?

WRT the server, we need a clearly defined 'spec' for the server setup.
As far as I can see, the only active persons with sufficient expertise
are Martyn, Andy and maybe Max. We need a clear 'spec' if only for
maintenance purposes.

The second point relates to the idea of providing CD writer facilities.
  Andy favours having the possibility to download software via the
server for burning to CD. Is this viable? If, for example, a CD sized
ISO were to be downloaded via a 10Mbit/sec network, this could hog the
network for maybe 10 minutes or so. Other users might not be too happy.
If we had a 100Mbit/sec link to the server, Could the existing server
handle all the network traffic? I don't know, I'm showing my ignorance here.

Alternatively we could provide a library of CD ISOs on a standalone (?)
PC which would be readily available for burning to CD. An 80Gb hard
drive could hold over 100 ISOs. One of the existing PCs could be used
for this duty. All we need is a CD writer. I suggest that this be at
least a 20x burner, otherwise there might be a queue for CDs. Don't even
think about burning DVDs.

I like Martyns idea of providing ISOs of MS Windows versions of 'Open
Office', 'GIMP', etc. What better way of weaning people off Bill Gates'
offerings. Also, a standalone PC providing CD burning makes the point
clearly that Linux is not just for complicated networked setups and is
just as well suited to Mr(or Ms) Average and his requirements.

If we were to venture into the realms of sound and video processing, it
seems to me that a standalone setup (ie not remote X) would be the way
to go. Even on my own Athlon XP 2200/512MB RAM, these tasks can take
significant periods of time to execute. The existing server (Celeron
1GHZ ? / 128MB RAM) would stuggle. Also, as Max has already pointed out,
it's not easy to setup sound cards for 'remote X' operation.

Regards

Ken Hough