[Lancaster] Folly Terminals are go!

Matthew Trout lancaster-lug at trout.me.uk
Fri May 28 10:26:39 BST 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 11:49:43PM +0100, Andy Baxter wrote:
> also have a seperate root password for the terminals (but the same one for
> each of these), so someone shoulder-surfing while we're working on it can't
> get the server p/w.

How about giving LUG people unlimited sudo on the terminals so if an account
gets surfed nobody else needs to be notified about the password change?

> I reckon for the moment, just make a separate account for each terminal, and
> have a note on the box saying which one to log in as. Some time we might be
> able to figure a way to bring up a login screen which just has one guest
> account which gets directed to separate accounts for each machine, but this
> is going to be tricky I think.

Hmm ... how about pam_ldap and give each terminal a different base DN to surf
on, so 'guest' on each terminal maps to a different uid? (and on the server
the guest uid for each terminal is in a single 'termguest' group so the
permissions can be managed easily)

- Matt

PS: now in Bath working for Netcraft so it's unlikely I'll be able to make the
meetings in the near future - more than happy to help hands-on with anything
that can be done remotely, though.

--
Bring me my etherkiller; Oh clouds unfold! / Bring me the magic smoke of desire
I shall not cease from mental fight / Nor shall my LART rest in my hand