[Lancaster] SAMBA Problem

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Mon Nov 8 12:41:40 GMT 2004

Are there any SAMBA gurus out there?

I wish to access/process RAW files from my digital camera via
proprietary software which runs under MS Windows. As I have only Windows
98, I cannot access USB storage devices directly.

I have no problem in accessing the files via my (SuSE v9.1) Linux box
which auto mounts the camera as a USB storage device. I'm then able to
read and process JPEG and TIFF files directly via Linux, but cannot
process RAW files.

I hope to solve the problem by running a networked MS Windows 98 box via
SAMBA to access/process RAW files.

I've set up SAMBA and can read/write files on the Linux box via the '98
box. Using a very simple smb config file shown below, I can successfully
access /file_server/samba/COMMON and both my DVD reader and CD writer
(to read) which reside under /media. I cannot read from the floppy drive
which also resides under /media (no files shown), but the Linux box does
appear to access the floppy. Nor can I read from the mounted USB storage
device (ie the camera), which also resides under /media. The 98' box
appears to switch into the various directories and no errors are given.
I just don't get the file listings.

The /media/dvd, /media/cdrecorder, /media/floppy and /media/usb......
directories all appear with full read/write/execute attibutes.

Have tried setting /dev files to allow general access (chmod o+rw), but
without success.

Any suggestions please?

/etc/samba/smb.conf file:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SuSE
# Date: 2004-04-06
[global]
	workgroup = Kensnet
	interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth0
	bind interfaces only = true
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups
	printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
	map to guest = Bad User
#----------------------------------------------------------------
# These sections added by K. Hough 05/11/04
#
[COMMON]
	comment = Samba common area
	path = /file_server/samba/COMMON