[Lancaster] SAMBA Problem

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Tue Nov 9 15:13:14 GMT 2004

Martyn,

Ooops! I missed out the fstab file. Here it is:
/dev/hda5            /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr
    1 1
/dev/hda1            /boot                ext2       acl,user_xattr
    1 2
/dev/hda6            /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr
    1 2
/dev/hda7            /data2               auto       noauto,user
    0 0
/dev/hda2            swap                 swap       pri=42
    0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5
    0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults
    0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto
    0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto
    0 0
/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/dvd             /media/dvd           subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0             /media/floppy        subfs
fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0
koh1 at Ath22:/etc>

Ken Hough

Martyn,

Thanks for response. I enclose a copy of /etc/fstab file.

There is an entry for /dev/fd0 and I can access floppy disks correctly
via the Linux box, but not read them from the '98 box via SAMBA.

As expected, there's no entry for USB storage. USB devices are
automatically detected and mounted as and when required. Again, works
100% from Linux box, but not readable via '98 box/SAMBA.

As mentioned previously, I've checked/experimented with access rights.

Ken Hough