[Lancaster] Info' re 'portmap'

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Mon Sep 6 09:37:58 BST 2004

Can anybody help me with a problem relating to 'portmap'. One of my
boxes has suddenly screwed
up wrt NFS and I've traced the problem to 'portmap' not now working.

Previously, 'portmap' started up on boot and NFS was made available via
'/etc/init.d/nfsserver'.
Now the latter not too surprisingly, just hangs up. I don't believe that
I did anything to
change the setup.

I can start portmap directly in debug (non-deamon?) mode by
'/sbin/portmap -d' which then allows
/etc/init.d/nfsserver' to start as normal.

Any suggestions?

Can anybody point me in the direction of documentation relating to
portmap? The general comment
is that 'portmap' just works which is not now my experience.