[Lancaster] Software development

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Thu Apr 28 17:42:05 BST 2005

Martyn,

wrt our discussion about software development:

re my steam/water properties app.:
This presently includes functions which (fairly accurately) define
various properties of steam and water (eg Hg, Hf, Sg, Sf, Vg, Vf) over
the entire practical ranges of temperature and pressure including the
superheat region up to 250 bar and 650 degC. Might sound boring, but
engineers dealing with the topic might find these useful. The app. is
written in (ANSI) 'C' and uses the ncurses library.

The app. uses the property functions either on a simple 'lookup' basis
(cp the old steam tables) or to carry out calculations including amount
of steam required for heating and power generation via steam turbines --
lot's of itterative calculations here. It can save a lot of paper work!

The property functions are fairly well checked. There are just a couple
of bugs in one of the turbine options, which I could sort out given some
motivation.

If any of your contacts are interested, let me know.