[Lancaster] Help Re Broadband Routers

Darren Poulson daz at 22balmoralroad.net
Wed Feb 2 20:44:03 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 02 Feb 2005 5:15 pm, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 05:08:26PM +0000, Martyn Welch wrote:

> > > Linksys WRK-54G. Lovely piece of kit.
> >
> > Is this an ADSL modem as well as a wireless router, or would you still
> > need the ADSL Modem?
> >
> > How does it compare to the WRT-54G?
>
> In answer to both your questions, it basically *is* a WRT-54G but with
> half a dozen switch ports[0] and a DSL modem built into the same chassis.
>
> [0] It might be 5, and the WRT-54G may have those itself. Memory imperfect
> :)

If you take a look at this page:

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=240

There's a note at the bottom saying:

Note: This product does not contain a modem and is not compatible with USB
modems.

Oh, and its only a 4 port switch on it, same as most of the rest of the
linksys router range.

So, just like the wrt54g, they market it as a broadband router, but it doesn't
have the actual modem built in. The linksys WAG54G however does. I haven't
had any experience with this model, but if its quality is as good as the
wrt54g, it's going to be a good product.  There's plenty going on ebuyer with
plenty of good reviews! Only thing is, the wag doesn't run linux like the wrt
does, so isn't quite as hackable (the good meaning of hackable!).

I have installed some of the netgear adsl routers (both with, DG834G, and
without wireless, DG834) and have been very impressed with them. Really easy
to configure and seem to be pretty reliable - at least my parents and my
sister haven't complained yet!

Basically, if you want a router with wireless and a built in ADSL modem, then
the Netgear DG834G is a very good choice, or the Linksys WAG54G comes from a
company with a very good product range (they're cisco quality, without the
price)

HTH

Darren.

--