[Lancaster] Wi-Fi Router for Linux

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Wed Jul 6 14:18:10 BST 2005

I've just got a new ADSL modem/WI-Fi/ethernet router box plus matching
PCMCIA card and so far can recommend the gear to Linux users.

The router is a NETGEAR GD834G and the card is a WG511T.

I use SuSE Linux v9.1 and was impressed to find that on an IBM Thinkpad
T21. SuSE/YAST found the card and configured it OK.

On subsequent hot plugging of the PCMCIA card, the wi-fi connection with
the router was made automatically using DHCP. Very smooth. The link was
rock solid throughout my house, admittedly only a bungalow. Haven't
tried the garden yet as it's raining.

Access to the router via ethernet from my Athlon box was, again, no
problem. The setup pages are accessed from a browser using IP address
192.168.0.1. I'm impressed with the professional appearance and (so far)
the funtionality of these pages.

Transfer of files between the Thinkpad and the Athlon box (ie via wi-fi
and ethernet) works OK for the 802.11b and 802.11g modes (at approx
800kB/sec and 2.5MB/sec). I haven't yet had any success with the
enhanced 104Mb/sec mode, despite setting that mode in the router. I
guess that this is a problem with the Linux driver running the wi-fi card.

Has anyone any clues on this one?

Overall, I'm impressed with the gear. If anyone is interested, I bought
both items as a package via www.broadbandstuff.co.uk for £100.45 incl
p&p with next day delivery.

All I need now is a broadband ISP account!