[Lancaster] Dual Booting

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 11:42:39 BST 2005

- ------ Original message ------
On Wednesday 20 Jul 2005 11:10, Ken Hough wrote:

> Without additional software, XP (ie NTFS) partitions can be a bit of a
> problem. AFAIK, Linux can mount NTFS and can read from it, but is not
> guaranteed to be safe for writing.

That was true last time I read about it.

This also suggests that also to be true:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html#ntfsdriver

> I should add that I've had no personal experience of XP and have no
> intention of gaining any.

I try to stay as far away from it as possible at all times.

> One of the advantages of dual booting Linux + MS Windows has been that
> Linux can mount and read/write MS partitions, specificaly FAT16 and
> FAT32. I've successfully set up quite a few dual booting systems with
> Win98.

XP will also read FAT partitions. I have tended to suggest that those who wish
to run both systems have a FAT partition for them to store stuff on that they
require to be accessable by both OSes. This is a bit f a hack as FAT can't
store Linux file permissions and thus the whole partition has to be made
accessable as one user/group combination, not the best on multi-user systems.

Add to that the fact that FAT is vastly inferior to EXT3 or ReiserFS in terms
of data security (EXT3 and ReiserFS are journalised file systems).

> It can work well, but there can be some serious problems if
> (when) things go wrong with the Microsoft side of things. There are ways
> to manage/minimise problems, but IMHO, this is not made clear enough by
> any of the major Linux distributors.

There seems to be less and less to gain by dual booting these days anyway.

There is very little I can't do satisfactoraly on a Linux system (natively),
there are also quite a few good tools for utilising software created for
win32 under Linux, both free and proprietory. OK, I'm not a gamer, but there
are native ports available for a good few very popular games.

Needless to say, without installing extensive quantities of third party
applications, which aren't updated though a centralised patch management
system, I find windows to be a very restrictive environment to work with. I
hence try to avoid it at all costs.

Martyn

- --
Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)