[Lancaster] Website Wiki

Darren Poulson daz at 22balmoralroad.net
Tue Jun 21 19:15:50 BST 2005

On Tuesday 21 Jun 2005 16:37, Andy Baxter wrote:
> On Monday 20 Jun 2005 23:37, Darren Poulson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Well, I put a wiki system live on the Lug website a month or so ago,
> > after Andy gave me the initial idea. I started off with the only PHPNuke
> > wiki module that I could find and have been doing a bit of tinkering with
> > it to improve it to a usable point.
> >
> > I think I've got there! ;)
> >
> > I've just put the finishing touches to a history option on the wiki so
> > that you can see previous versions of documents, as well as the ability
> > to revert back to old versions if necessary. I'm going to see if I can
> > make the editing of pages a bit easier so that you don't need to use html
> > to get a half decent page.
>
> I like the classic wiki style, where you have things like:
>
> ===big header===
> ==header==
>
> * bullet point
> * another point
>
> /italic/
> *bold*
>
> etc. the main difference is that carriage returns are interpreted as <br>,
> so you can write in paragraphs without adding tags.

wiki style just means learning yet another markup language that is not really
any easier than html, which a lot of people already know and has a lot of
other uses (ie, a lot more useful to know). I'll probably add something in to
convert newlines to <br>'s tho' to make it easier for now.

Anyone else got any feelings one way or another?

I'm going to have a go at getting htmlarea working with the wiki which means
you can then have full wysiwyg editing facilities (with supported browsers!).

> > What I really need is for people to have a mess around and make sure it
> > works. Once I deem it stable enough I'm going to release it on the Nuke
> > web site (under GPL of course) for others to use (or laugh at!).
>
> I've found a  bug - if you click on 'history' on the index page, it opens
> an edit window. I think the index shouldn't have history or edit links.
> (Unless the history is a shortened history of all changes to the site)

Ok, thanks for pointing that one out! I've taken off the edit, history and
index links off the index page. I'll have a go at adding a 'recent changes'
link in as well.

> andy

Cheers,

Darren.