[Lancaster] Re: n00b!

David Smith davidsmith at netaxis.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 10:56:51 GMT 2005

> If you want to share out file systems, use samba for
>windows machines but NFS
> for *nix (including Mac OS X). Personally I've no samba
>shares (no windows
> machines!) and use NFS for mounting my home directories
>on my linux
> workstations and my iBook.

Excellent. Thanks. I will most likely have interractions
with Windoze systems only when people are round for LANs
and the like, but just to have the support option would be
good.
Hopefully they'll crack the Airport Extreme Driver soon so
I can convert my Mac completely across...but NFS could be
useful as well - will have to see when I get back.
Are there any conflicts in assigning the same shares for
Samba/NFS? I can't imagine there would be but, given
relative inexperience, figured I could check now whilst I
google for ebooks!

> As for spec, I'm running a large file server, ldap
>server, web server, email
> server, mythtv backend (have a look at this project...
>really nice!) and
> slimserver for streaming mp3's all on a 2 gig AMD, with
>3/4 gig of memory!

Sounds good - MythTV looks excellent! I had heard it
mentioned before but never really looked closely at it.
So, out of curiosity, how do you use it? My thoughts (as
I'll probably have some more 'spare' equipment lying
around soon) was to run it on a dedicated Media Box and
probably looking at the Knoppix/MythTV installation thats
out there.
With not having much time to read the site yet - how
exactly does it work? You boot the OS of choice and run
MythTV inside it I presume?
Will d/l what I can of the docs later today if I get
chance to have a more thorough look but figured I could
ask that now! How is its support for interfacing with a
server machine?
ie, if I had a dedicated 'MediaBox' running MythTV
somewhere accessible and able to watch/record TV through
(record to another machine?); access my streamed MP3s (on
a home file server); access other media files (picture
galleries and movie files mainly); and perhaps access the
internet? Sorry, I should really read more on the docs but
I haven't got the opportunity quite yet!
Also, are there any issues I should watch out for if I
wanted to run my PS2 into the same TV? I'm trying to run
through my head how the setup would go cable-wise and
can't see a problem, but not sure if I missed something!

If running the designated MediaBox etc, is there remote
control support I could use? I've seen about various
products aimed at the Doze market, just curious if there
are alternatives. Either way I'll probably be using
wireless mouse and keyboard for it most of the time.

> Bombard away, thats what we're here for!

You asked for it!!!

Like I said a few different ideas flying around!!

Thanks again

Dave

PS - Does there exist anywhere a website similar to
linux-laptop.net but for DESKTOP hardware
compatability/issues? I searched the other day and found a
few that looked remotely promising for some aspects, but
none quite as useful as linux-laptop.
I understand the list would be HUGE so I'm probably more
looking for sites dedicated to specific areas. Or just
manufacturers that release linux drivers/are compatible.
Just thinking in terms of a decent soundcard primarily,
but will be looking into other areas later.

PPS - Anybody any useful hints for me installing Gentoo
2004.3 on a Powerbook G4, dual-booting OS X? I ran into
what could be classed as a few 'issues' when I've tried to
run the install so far...
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-313305.html
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/post-189153.html#189153

Not that I'm trying to be too demanding though!! :-)