[Lancaster] Linux audio workshop - first thoughts

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Tue May 24 00:17:05 BST 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 22:12, Ken Hough wrote:
> Andy Baxter wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 May 2005 21:28, Ken Hough wrote:
> >>Andy,
> >>
> >>Wow! There's food for thought!
> >>
> >>I'm interested in sound processing/editing, but so far mainly for
> >>recovering some of my old LPs to CD.
> >>
> >>I have used the likes of Krecord, Broadcast2000, Audacity and gramofile.
> >
> > Have a look at rezound - it's better than audacity. (don't know about
> > broadcast2000). It has a gramofile-like track splitter, but it doesn't
> > work properly on the files I've tried.
>
> You recommended 'rezound' to me some time ago. I did get around to
> installing it, but was unable to get it working properly.

The things I like about it are - it has a 'sprung wheel' control for going
backwards and forwards through the sound at whatever speed you want; it's
quite fast to render the image of the waveforms when you zoom in and out, you
can select regions and tell it to play them as a loop, and there's a nice VU
meter at the bottom of the screen.

> >>You may recall that I am a SuSE user, so that after installation things
> >>usually just work! I do not yet understand much of what the sound
> >>systems do "under the hood" and would like to make progress on that
> >>front.
> >
> > I've started writing up those notes properly on the wiki at:
> > http://www.lancaster.lug.org.uk/modules.php?name=Guiki&MODE=SHOW&PAGE=Lin
> >ux%20audio%20guide
>
> Will look when I next get time. Am presently panicking to get ready for
> five visitors next weekend and to get myself packed ready for all six of
> us to go to Scotland.

OK, let me know what you think.

> > That could be handy as long as we can sort out the power / humidity (?)
> > problem.
>
> As the inside of a working PC gets quite warm, I can't see how humidity
> can be the problem (unless resulting from corrosion over some time when
> the machines are cold). Most routes on modern/fast PC motherboards are
> of fairly low impedance.

Agreed - we had a BBC micro at home which survived being drowned when a pipe
burst in the room above, as did the TV/monitor. Both were off at the time,
and water by itself doesn't seem to hurt electronics as long as there's no
power.

Probably the best thing is to get a surge/spike protector of some sort. What
would be nice is to find some way to monitor the supply beforehand (or after
fitting the protector) so we can actually see if that was the problem, but I
don't know how to do this (unless it's /really/ bad in which case an
oscilloscope with a voltage divider plugged into a socket would do it.)

andy

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which