[Lancaster] Install Fest (was: Software Freedom Day)

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Thu Sep 1 19:41:21 BST 2005

On Thursday 01 Sep 2005 17:26, Kristof Van Laerhoven wrote:
> Hi Ken, all,
>
> Good point(s):
>
> - if everyone brings the installation discs of distros they have
> experience with (anyone covering Gentoo?) we should be fine,

I have limited experience with Gentoo, Darren's just started using it, though
I don't know whether he will be attending....

Either way we would definitely require the use of the pre-compiled stages!!!

> - we have the middle section of the building reserved for the entire
> afternoon, from 12 onwards, but the plan is to start around 1pm.

I might plan to turn up earlier, depending on how stressed I feel.

As I said it's big green and orange. :-)

> - there is plenty of parking space in front of the building and we'll
> make sure that you get a visitor's ticket to place in your car.

It shouldn't be a problem at the weekend. I fairly sure that the parking stuff
is only enforced on weekdays.

> Ken Hough wrote:
> > Kristof,
> >
> > I intend bringing along my laptop (IBM Thinkpad, 800MHz PIII), running
> > SuSE Linux v9.1.

Nice demo machine :-)

> > I could also bring an Athlon XP1600+/512MB based PC which can run as a
> > headless server holding a few Linux distros. Given sets of boot
> > floppies (and ethernet cards if needed), we could install via
> > ethernet/FTP from this PC, thus avoiding (or reducing) the need for
> > lots of installation CDs/DVDs.

Please.

> > If this is any use, have you any suggestions as to distros to load, or
> > for other possibilities? I currently have installation DVDs for SuSE
> > v9.1/v9.2, Fedora Core 4, Mandriva 10.1 and UBUNTU v5.04. Also have
> > Debian Sarg, but don't intend to include this for beginners.

I think I have a copy of Xandros and Linspire lying around, though I'd prefer
to check the licencing of these prior to installing them on lots of peoples
PCs.

> > I have Open Office and GIMP for MS Windows for those who aren't quite
> > ready to go for Linux.

Also on the LiveCD for Ubuntu. Worth having them, someone might feel
uncomfortable about completely re-installing the PC with Linux, but I would
be satisfied to some degree by installing OpenOffice, FireFox, Thunderbird
and possibly the GIMP.

> > What times do you anticipate starting/finishing the event? I need to
> > plan a few things to make sure that I can be there.

I guess plan for a few hours.

Martyn
--
Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)