[Lancaster] Install Fest

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Fri Sep 2 09:30:16 BST 2005

mp wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 19:39 +0100, Martyn Welch wrote:
>
>>Also on the LiveCD for Ubuntu. Worth having them, someone might feel
>>uncomfortable about completely re-installing the PC with Linux,
>

> Concerning both straight-up-Ubuntu and Ubuntu-Live, it may be worth
> thinking of Kubuntu:
> http://www.kubuntu.org/~amu/kubuntu-5.04.5-i386-live.iso
> (http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/hoary/)
> This is *not* an attempt to get into religiouos flames about desktop
> superiority, but simply because Ubuntu uses a rather grim shite-brown
> version of Gnome, while Kubuntu has a more-like-windows-looking blue and
> conventional desktop that is less likely to scare strangers to the free
> software universe. The obvious alternative, if you have got Ubuntu from
> shipit already is, of course:
>
> sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Just goes to demontrate the strength of personal preferences. I'm a KDE
user and don't much like GNOME, but I did rather like what I saw as the
neat and suttle appearance of the UBUNTU desktop.

My own, addmittedly superficial, impression of UBUNTU (live) is that it
lacks a good range of apps on the menus. Perhaps a bit too minimalist.
For me, Knoppix is more impressive. After all, live distros are meant to
demonstrate what Linux is about.

Ken Hough